Saturday, May 05, 2007

Spidey 3 - My Thoughts

Okay, so Diana and I took Friday off and went to see Spider-man III at 11 AM - in IMAX. We got there around 10 AM and there was already at least 30 - 50 people in line, as the theatre had not yet opened (like many of the articles I read said - it's not a matter of if Spidey 3 is going to be number 1 at the box office - it's just a question of how much is it going to make? - A lot I think!).

Anyway, got into the theatre, found good seats (essential when watching an IMAX movie), and waited a half an hour for it to start. No trailers, which sucks, and the anticipation ....

When the lights finally came up (and thank god because I had to desperately go to the washroom), I was .... a little disappointed. It was still good, don't get me wrong. Better than X-men 3, which I think lacked the soul that Singer gave the first two films film, but certainly not as good as the first Spider-man film, and I think I enjoyed the second film more as well. All the main characters were very good. In fact, all of the actors were enjoyable to watch in the roles, but the writing just seemed, well there was maybe a little bit too much of it. Too much explanation (we're not stupid - you don't have to go all George Lucus on us and spell everything out - mitichlorines - I hated that!), maybe too much dialogue, and maybe, just possibly, they didn't need all the villains.

Diana and I were concerned about that - to many villains. Think about the first four Batman films: they kept on upping the number of villains until the movies were about the villains, and not the Batman. So it's kinda possible that Spidey 3 suffers a little bit from that. Don't get me wrong - what they did they did very well. The visuals of the Sandman and Venom were spot on, and the actors portraying those characters did an excellent job, but maybe they could have left one of them out, or used them in the (inevitable) next film.

I must say that J.K. Simmons (J.Jonah Jameson) and Bruce Campbell (the Maître d’) were hilarious and almost stole the show (and perhaps they even did).

Regardless (not irregardless, which is not a word), we still enjoyed it, and it's a better film than most, but in comparison to I and II, this is probably the weakest of the films.

I would still recommend seeing it though. There's no doubt that we enjoyed it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave for sharing. Chris and I are totally looking forward to seeing it. Not having seen it yet I don't have much authority, opinion wise, but I have noted some of the reviews are starting to come out now - and everyone seems to be saying in and around the same thing about the writing - that it was a little off or too long winded / overly dramatic in some bits...

I am interested to see if we come up with the same conclusion about the villians - we do like a little evil - but then again, you can't overshadow Spidey.

I am not sure if we will get out to the theatre for this one - it would be a tough go - if our 4 year old ever found out - he'd disown us.

I am interested to see if anyone else will weigh in.

Cheers,
Wendy

10:23 a.m., May 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home